Functions of Commission
The functions of the Commission as per Section 11 of the Act are as follows:-
- Advise the Central Government or any State Government on any question relating to the education of minorities that may be referred to it.
- Enquire, suomotu, or on a petition presented to it by any Minority Educational Institution, or any person on its behalf into complaints regarding deprivation or violation of rights of minorities to establish and administer educational institutions of their choice and any dispute relating to affiliation to a University and report its finding to the appropriate Government for its implementation.
- Intervene in any proceeding involving any deprivation or violation of the educational rights of the minorities before a court with the leave of such court.
- Review the safeguards provided by or under the Constitution, or any law for the time being in force, for the protection of educational rights of the minorities and recommend measures for their effective implementation.
- Specify measures to promote and preserve the minority status and character of institutions of their choice established by minorities.
- Decide all questions relating to the status of any institution as a Minority Educational Institution and declare its status as such.
- Make recommendations to the appropriate Government for the effective, implementation of programmes and schemes relating to the Minority Educational Institutions .
- Do such other acts and things as may be necessary, incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or any of the objects of the Commission.